1. Sweet –
2. Sour –
3. Salty –
4. Pungent –
5. Bitter –
6. Astringent –
Benefits of Ayurvedic Diet
- Cures all ailments: Ayurveda states, that in order to heal the body, one is required to make changes in the food that we intake. This dietary change can do wonders to your health and also help cure a large number of diseases.
- Increasing your life span: The Ayurvedic diet, that contains all the 6 tastes, helps in balancing the bio-energies in the body. It also helps in repairing the wear and tear of the body, increases regeneration of dead cells and improves the overall health of an individual.
- Healthy weight: This diet helps an individual attain his/her ideal weight in an organized manner. It encourages people to eat foods based on their prakruti or body constitution, which indirectly leads to health and happiness.
- Increase in energy levels and reduces toxins: Ayurveda believes that the digestive system is the main source of energy (called as Agni or digestive fire). If this Agni is strong and robust, we are able to digest whatever we eat. On the other hand, a weak Agni leads to indigestion and indirectly causes the formation of a lot of toxic waste (called Ama). This toxic waste is accumulated in the body and is the main source of diseases. The Ayurvedic diet strives to strengthen the Agni and improves the energy levels of the body.
- Improves the functioning of the body: An Ayurvedic diet encourages you to eat foods that suit your doshas. Thus, you eat only what is required by the body, and avoid over-eating. This leads to better functioning of the body and improves the processes like digestion, blood circulation, basic metabolism etc. Indirectly, we become stress-free and are more at peace with ourselves.